When you go to a fancy sandwich shop, there’s a pretty good chance that you’re looking for one of many wonderful pressed sandwiches that grace the many cafes and food vendors that dot our cities. If you’re anything like us, you just can’t get enough of the crispy pressed sandwiches filled with warm melted cheeses and a variety of other toppings that just have your mouth watering.
Look, we get it, we do it too, but we don’t have to. There are many amazing choices for electric grill presses and panini presses that you can use, at home, to prepare the perfect sandwich. Below we’ll cover the best of the best to help you decide just what you’ll be cooking your next sandwich on! There is a variety to chose from, and we’ll cover several different styles, so let’s begin.
George Foreman has been a household name for counter-top grills and sandwich makers for years, and that is for good reason. They are known for fantastic quality and rave reviews. Built-in the traditional George Foreman grill style, this grill is built to prepare amazing sandwiches that don’t absorb all the greases and fats from the meat. The fats and grease drain down the grill into a drip tray for easy collection. Further, it’s not even just for sandwiches! You can grill vegetables, burgers, or whatever else you might find yourself having a hankering for, and it’ll fit into the cramped corners of a small apartment kitchen if need be.
- Small form factor.
- Included drip tray.
- Built to drain away excess oil and fat.
- Non-stick trays allow for easy cooking and cleaning.
- Easy on the wallet.
- Perhaps small if you are preparing meals for more than one or two people.
This stainless steel stylish panini press was made for the sandwich aficionado in mind. A floating hinge allows for the assembly of large sandwiches that can be pressed down and grilled to perfection. Much like the George Forman, an included drip tray allows for the collection of juices that have flowed away and keeps your counters clean. A convenient indicator will tell you when the elements are turned on, and another will tell you when it’s time to get your ham and cheese melt on the grill.
- Easy cleaning with non-stick coating.
- Power on, and cooking temperature indicator so you’re not cooking in the dark.
- The cooking plates cannot be removed for cleaning, however, they can be easily wiped clean.
This appliance truly is a jack of all trades. Combining a griddle, grill, panini-press, full griddle, full grill, and a half and half option no matter what you’re cooking this Griddler can handle it. A perfect sandwich will be within your grasp when you fire up this grill and throw on a sliced Italian roll, and cover it with layers of soppressata, salami, and capicola. I can already taste it! Further, you could make a couple of open-faced sandwiches on one side, and then grill some vegetables for your side on the other! The options are truly endless!
- Multiple configurations for a variety of different menu options.
- Removable, dishwasher safe cooking plates for easy cleaning.
- It can take a while for the elements to heat up.
This is perhaps one of the most unique sandwich makers I’ve had the fortune to come across. A full breakfast-making machine. This sandwich maker can replace all of those fast food joints that sell you your morning Eggies! A simple four-step process has your sandwich on its way, and your custom breakfast sandwich is done in about five minutes. Perhaps on the more situationally useful side, the removable parts allow you to use your dishwasher to get the most difficult part of the cleaning done.
- Quality breakfast in no time at all.
- Easy to clean up, all cooking parts are dishwasher safe.
- Assembly and reassembly can be a hassle.
- A limited range in preparation options available.
A larger and more feature-rich version of our number one grill, George Foreman makes the list again with another of their Panini Presses. Able to accomplish everything that the smaller model can do, this grill has a couple of added perks that help you reach new heights with your sandwich press creations. This electric press comes with removable cooking plates that can be thrown right into the dishwasher for easy cleaning. Further, the larger form allows you to cook and prepare more food in less time.
- Large Cooking Area.
- Removable, dishwasher safe cooking plates for easy cleaning.
- There is some temperature variation between the top and bottom plates. This of course can be overcome by flipping your sandwich while cooking it.
- It can be somewhat difficult to reassemble the electric grill press after it has been taken apart for cleaning.
- One of the more expensive models listed.
This press allows for any thickness of bread and sandwich. Think about that for a second… unlimited toppings! The floating lid design will have your imagination blazing with the types of sandwiches you can make. I’m thinking perhaps a shredded steak and Monterey Jack sandwich topped with lettuce and tomato. A little bit of pepper too! You can use this press to prepare paninis, savory sandwiches, even pizzas, and open-faced sandwiches! Truly this press can do it all.
- The floating lid design that allows for a variety of preparation methods.
- Built to stand on its side for ease of storage.
- The press doesn’t do well with oils and grease that make their way off of the sandwich. You may need to put down a piece of paper towel to catch it if you’re making a sandwich that runs that risk.
Another two in one device, this model allows you to quickly transform your panini-press into a flattop grill. You can make open-faced grilled cheese sandwiches one day, and press spicy Italian sandwiches the next. The press heats up quickly so you can get your snack fix in a flash, and it is designed with a grease collection area at the back to so you’re not scrubbing the entire unit.
- Great value for the price.
- Large cooking surface.
- It can be difficult to clean and remove the grease.
The Ovente electric sandwich maker is a reasonably priced entry into our top ten. Preparing yourself a wonderful snack or lunch is a breeze, though as with other models of sandwich makers you may be hard-pressed (get it?) to use larger varieties of bread. For sandwiches such as grilled cheese, or ham melts, this is the perfect addition to your kitchen line-up.
- Excellent value for the price.
- Non-stick feet to keep the appliance in place.
- Smaller cooking area.
- The bread has to fit the mold well or else you risk losing toppings onto the cooking plates or squeezing off portions of your bread.
Another Panini Press makes the cut with the Chefman Panini Press Grill. This press comes with a removable drip tray and many of the features that you’ve come to expect from the high-quality panini presses that we’ve covered today. The non-stick coating promises that you won’t need to use cooking spray, though we would be remiss not to recommend at least buttering your toast, and clean up is a snap.
- Large Cooking area.
- Drip tray to collect grease.
- The cooking plates are not removable.
This press has everything you need to create perfectly browned sandwiches. Perhaps a little on the small size this sandwich press allows you to use the square-ish store-bought bread to create your masterpiece. Place your desired toppings between two pieces of bread, perhaps a little bit of smoked mozzarella, and tomatoes, and the place one or two of them into the press. When the bread is browned to your liking you’ll have saved a few bucks, and have a fantastically cheesy Caprese sandwich!
- Non-stick surface ensures that you are not fighting to get your lunch out of the press.
- Designed to keep your hands as far away as possible from the elements, and uses a latch to keep the sandwich press closed while cooking.
- A touch smaller than would be required to make sandwiches with Rye or home-made bread.
- You cannot remove the plates for cleaning.
Well, we certainly hope that you’ve found your new sandwich maker or panini press. With a wide variety of different units, and a few oddballs giving you specialized meals, you’re sure to have found the perfect press for your next snack. Got a favorite that’s not listed here? Let us know!